Monday 9 January 2012

Petals, Purses, Pumps & My New Obsession

As someone who is proudly genderqueer, yet also sensitive to office etiquette, I often have to compromise between my pleasures and my profession. Every morning I wake up, decide on what I would like to wear, consider what I likely should wear, and then frustrate myself into being late while I try to find an acceptable middle ground. Much is the same with my office.

When I finally secured a corner office, complete with windows that look onto the outside world (gasp!), I was in heaven. I daydreamed about all the ways I would decorate it, and then got realistic and looked around at all the little touches my female coworkers brought to their own offices. We are not permitted to put anything on the walls (tacks or tape), curtains are frowned upon (either  a security or fire risk, depending on who you ask), and flowers are completely unacceptable (allergy concerns). So, for the longest time, the only real feminine touches I brought to the office were my herd of My Little Pony Unicorns, the porcelain high-heeled shoe (red, of course) that feeds me sticky-notes, and the plastic corset (white and purple) that holds my pens.

With the new year coming, I knew I wanted to find a desk calendar that would blend in, yet make me smile every time I looked at it. I will freely admit, I obsessed over the search a bit, looking high and low, online and in the malls, to find the right calendar. I had just about given up when I stumbled across Petals, Purses & Pumps. The cover was definitely pretty, but I did not really notice what I was looking at until my purse knocked it off the rack and I had to bend over to pick it up. When I finally saw the detail there, I do believe I let out an audible squeal of girlish glee.

If you have never heard of Michel Tcherevkoff (I had not), then you are in for a treat. This wonderful, amazing, talented gentleman crafts the most delicate pieces of artwork from real flowers. The Petals, Purses, and Pumps calendar, along with his Shoe Fleur: A Footwear Fantasy photo book, are dedicated to the most gorgeous shoes, boots, purses, and handbags you could ever wish to wear, all crafted from beautiful blossoms and pretty petals. His Butterfly Blossoms calendar, as you might expect, is dedicated to flower-borne butterflies that look so real, you almost expect them to flutter off the page. For something a little more daring, his Passion Flower Pinups calendar is full of beautiful women dressed in lingerie, dresses, gowns, stocking, and heels made entirely of flowers.

Take a look at a few of these images and tell me the man is not a genius . . . I think you will understand why I am so in love. :)



Do yourself a favour, check out Michael's site here, and then buy one of the collections I mentioned above. You will not regret it!
♂↔♀

1 comment:

  1. I, too, am a genderqueer female bodied human. Luckily, I stumbled upon your blog.

    Great job on your new office,thanks for the tip on the artist, and good luck!

    ReplyDelete